I’ve seen #Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso in loads of flat lay blog photos. I wondered what the big fuss was about. Who the hell is Sophia Amoruso and why is this book so popular? Never heard of her. When I looked more into it, I found out that she’s the CEO of Nasty Gal, which I have heard of. After hearing and seeing more about this book I decided to jump on the bandwagon and read it.
What I liked about it:
• I love the cover. I think it’s so pretty and I can see why people use this book for their blog photos. I actually had a paperback version of the book but I gave it away to a friend, so I’m gutted that I didn’t get to take any pictures with it.
• The inspiration quotes and illustrations at the start of each chapter.
• Some parts of the book were also quite funny and it takes a lot to get me to laugh at a book. I do quite like Sophia’s humour.
• I also quite liked Sophia herself. She’s pretty likeable, even though she can be quite arrogant at times. However, it’s clear that she has worked hard to achieve everything she has, so I will excuse it.
• There’s also a few segments where other successful business women talk about their stories and experiences and I thought that these were interesting.
What I didn’t like about it:
• I hate the title. I cringe when people use hashtags outside of Twitter and Instagram. I just find it tacky. I even cringed having to type out the title. Urgh.
• Sophia says that she aims to provide the reader with tips on how to become a #girlboss (urgh) but I can’t say that I really learned anything. Nothing she wrote has stuck with me. I think the whole book would have worked better as a memoir since Sophia does have a pretty interesting rags-to-riches story. She went from stealing and dumpster-diving to a millionaire in the space of a few years, all from creating an eBay store. That stuck with me more than whatever advice and tips she was trying to dish out.
Is it worth the read?
If you are interested in reading about Sophia’s story and how she got to where she is, then I would say yes, it is. Some parts of it are funny and it’s an entertaining book. It didn’t take me long to read, at all. You’ll also get to read about other successful business women and their stories, which might give you some inspiration, along with the quotes scattered around the book.
However, if it’s serious business advice you’re after then I would suggest to keep searching.
Thanks for reading! I know a lot of people have read this book now but I didn’t want to be left out. I’ve seen this book get quite a few mixed reviews so if you’ve read it then let me know what you thought of it!Bye!